Monday 29 October 2007

Breath

I have been aware of breathing for some time and read a lot on this subject. Yoga has helped me to develop my breathing and information from books and tapes helped me to be more aware of my breath. However yesterday for the first time I was consciously breathing for almost the whole day. It was difficult but very rewarding. I was trying to breath slowly and into my lungs not the tummy and it was challenging.
Today things were different because I went to work and I have lost myself in it. I still remembered from time to time about my conscious breathing but not very often. I managed to go outside once and stood by the tree in the sun. That was lovely.
I also took my friend out of the office during lunchtime for a short walk to the park. Very rewarding. I shall do that every day, well except when it's raining.
When I'm aware of my breath I'm focused and calm. It seems that I do slow down but that's only an illusion, I'm just more focused and organised. I'm simply much more aware of myself. Tomorrow I'm teaching so I'll try to stay focused or just be aware of my breath.
Breath is life. Our life starts with the first breathe and finishes with the last one. We take it for granted, we are breathing with no awareness. Unfortunately we are doing lots of things without awareness in our daily lives. We are eating without putting any attention to food often watching TV, reading newspaper or getting involved in a dispute at the dinner table.
I was a very good example of that. I specially liked watching TV and eating lying on my sofa in the living room. What a comfortable, blind state of being. I was basically not present. I came to this planet Earth to live a conscious happy life; meanwhile I was sleeping, living in an illusion and wondering why life is not fare.

No comments: